Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Sunday Aug 5th - 1st day in France



I am sitting on the covered patio of the Hotel Le Montagu in Luz St. Sauveur, France. It is raining so hard. Huge drops are coming straight down, yet the sun is shining thru the dark clouds in places as they are blown over the mountain tops. It is warm, mid 20s. I can hear one of the many creeks ripple and churn towards the river.

Eight of the riders rode Luz St Arden (sp?). It is an HC (hors categorie - beyond classification ie extremely difficult). All of them said it was hard. I skipped that climb as I have not been on my bike in one week.

Instead, I went for a short ride on my own for about 1 hour to loosen up. I then hit the public pool. I figure there is plenty of time for inflicting some 'hurt' on myself in later rides.

The day started at 4:30 AM. I was out of the hotel by 5:00 AM and on the shuttle bus. I have my huge bike box (about 4' x 3' x 1.5'). Good thing it is on wheels. I put my day bag and my suitcase on top of it. I have lots to carry.

When I get to Stansted airport just after 5:00AM, I don't think it colud get any busier! The place is a hive of peopel, barely able to move. I am sure I have made a huge mistake and worry that I will miss my flight. I navigate to the RyanAir check iin for Pau France and am releived that there are only 2 people ahead of me. Apparently I am 'late' checking in. this place is crazy busy.

We land in Pau and meet all the riders. In no particular order:
- Hugh
- Gareth
- Geoff
- Matt
- Vince
- Donise
- Nick
- Phil
- Peter

Our guides are:
- David
- Imogene
- Phillipe (driver)

(The pictures are from our night in Spain)

No comments: