Monday, August 13, 2007

Friday Aug 3rd to Sat Aug 4th - London, England

Flight went very well. All reservations that I made on the internet were ready when I was. I am still impressed with what you can do over the web.

The flight was long (8hrs), then a transfer to Stansted airport was very long. It was about a 12.5 hour day (7:00 AM Eastern time to 7:30PM Eatern - or 12:30 UK time)

I slept until 8:30 then caught the shuttle Stansted Express to Liverpool Station. I was suprised at both the cost of the trip (approx 20 pounds or $45 CDN) adn the amount of open space beside the tracks. It is not wilderness like in Canada with bears (inside joke for the people on the trip) but small farms. Something that is in risk of becoming extinct in Canada.

I take the subway to I believe it was Charing Cross Station, and go to the British Museum (http://www.thebritishmuseum.ac.uk/). I am very impressed with the Greek, Roman and Egyption exhibits. I am amazed at the 'History of Mankind' exhibit which shows the evolution of mankinds thoughts over the 'Age of Enlightenment' (starting approx 1400 AD). This room is absolutely stunning in its design. The ability for people to capture and organize rocks, marble, seashells, ancient books, weapons - absolutely anything - and to see many of these items in person vs virtually over the web or in a book - is incredible. I missed the Chinese Terracotta warriors exhibit but I had to get onto my next stop.

I look at my tourist map to find the 'Horse Guards' and it does not look far on the map. In reality, I started the hike, was amazed at the number of people walking up and down the street, that I went backl top the subway. I shold say the the subway system is aboslutely incredible. Toronto's subway looks like it was designed by a child in comparison. London's underground is complex and way, way, way down underground. I wold be interested in finding out more about how it came to be and the hurdles that were faced in building it. I am sure it was way more costly than Toronto's subway system.

I get to the proper stop and walk to Trafalger Square. I am again in awe of what the 'English Empire' has/had built frrom its world domination.

I thank a cabbie for not running me over as I was engrossed in getting a picture. If I was in Toronto, I know I would have got the horn and a rude message. In England, everyone I meet is very friendly and patient. Something people in Toronto could learn.

I get over to the Horse Guards building and am amazed by the size of the groounds where the various celebrations and exhibitions are held. Roughly. I would say the pebble strewn field is about the size of 15 to 20 football fields.

An ancient cannon captured from a middle eastern country many years ago sits outside the newly opened Horse Gurad museum (July 18, 2007). This cannon is very large and ornate, with crocodiles and other symbols embossed on it.

The Horse Museum is cool - if you like horses and history. The horse guards were created in order to be the 'personal guards' of the kings and queens. Here is more info: http://www.army.mod.uk/ceremonialandheritage/household/queens_life_guard.htm

I see the changing of the Horse Guards and head past 'Her Majesty's Gardens' replete with a 20 piece orchestra (or there abouts) playing in the park! I am on my way to St James castle, which is where theyt have a smaller changing of guard. It is less well known than Buckingham Palace, but you can walk right up to the guards if you choose. When I get there, someone is doing something silly in front of the guards, they pay him no heed.

I get to see an inspection of the guard, but not the changing. It was still impressive.

Later on, I run into a man who used to be a guard at St James Castle. I asked him how he handle the fools trying to make him laugh. He said he pciked an object down the road and focused on it.

Before I leave London, I stop in at a bar and order fish & chips. The barkeeper asks me if I want garden peas or mushy peas. I go for garden. I say I want to try an real Englihs Ale but I am unsure of it. He offers me a taste. I go with a German lager. We have the same fish and chips in Canada - but I think you have to say you had fish & chips in London!

I catch the subway back to the train and while walking to the train, there is loud chanting and singing - football preseason has started! It is a bit intimidating to hear the loud group - especially considering teh 'hooligan image' of English soccer fans.

I talk to a fellow from Germany who is on a shopping trip with his 13 year old son. Did you know you can get designer T-shirts for about 10 Euros less than in Germany? They both buy lots.

I make my way up to Stansted.

The real challenge starts tomorrow - getting to the airport at 5:30AM!

No comments: